In the SENS tools, the standardised SENS questionnaires for each module are readily programmed for mobile phone data collection.
The five phone questionnaires are:
- Infant and Young Child (covering Module 1: Anthropometry and Health, Module 2 children’s part: Anaemia, and Module 3: IYCF)
- Women (covering Module 2 women’s part: Anaemia)
- Food Security (covering Module 4: Food Security)
- Water, Sanitation and Hygiene (covering Module 5: WASH)
- Mosquito Net Coverage (covering Module 6: Mosquito Net Coverage)
The standardised pre-coded questionnaires can be re-used in any setting with some local adjustments including adaptation of response options and translation. The local adjustments should be done by an ODK trained staff. The coding can be done by a survey coordinator trained on form modification, or it can be done by a specialist while in the field or remotely via email. Most adaptations should be made before the beginning of the training, but further local adaptions are possible after the training and pilot testing in the field (for example to include new local names for food products).
The standardised questionnaires are already available and programmed into the most commonly used languages, such as English and French and they can easily be translated into most other languages. Translation needs to be planned well ahead of time as this can take time and also may require external resources.